Sunday, May 25, 2008

Freedom's Never Free

“These heroes are dead. They died for liberty - they died for us. They are at rest. They sleep in the land they made free, under the flag they rendered stainless, under the solemn pines, the sad hemlocks, the tearful willows, and the embracing vines. They sleep beneath the shadows of the clouds, careless alike of sunshine or of storm, each in the windowless Place of Rest. Earth may run red with other wars - they are at peace. In the midst of battle, in the roar of conflict, they found the serenity of death. I have one sentiment for soldiers living and dead: cheers for the living; tears for the dead.” ~Robert G. Ingersoll

Philippians 1:3:
3I thank my God every time I remember you.
Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.
As Memorial Day approaches tomorrow I am reminded of those who have served my country even unto death, in order that I might have the freedom to even make this post. Were it not for the men who served in the Revolutionary War the path to religious freedom may have been much different. I might not be free to post my beliefs and scriptures that give me comfort here. I might not be free to search for a church that fits the beliefs and needs of my family. I might have no choice but to join the National Church. I often hear a lot of controversy about this belief versus that belief; who’s are right and who’s are wrong and the like. We have these men and many more men and women who came after them to thank because they gave the ultimate sacrifice so that we are free to follow our beliefs and speak them freely. It humbles me to know that there are still those who are fighting today for a cause in which they may not believe, but they volunteered to serve. It is way beyond anything that I have ever or probably will ever do. It makes me want to make sure I take the appropriate attitude towards remembrance tomorrow. As I gather around my family I will give thanks and honor to those who were much braver than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment