Saturday, August 27, 2011

Is Your Child a Bully? The Answer May Surprise You.

This was the first week of school in my area of the country.  Everyone headed back to school, anxious to get the new school year under way.  Understandably, some kids were apprehensive about the year to come.  Unknown territory is hard to face at times, and going into a new grade, with new teachers, a new locker combination to remember, new hallways to navigate and new friends to make can make even the bravest among students nervous on the first week.  No one is immune.

My kids are in High School and Middle School now.  They are fairly well-liked kids who have a good number of friends, but even still, they had some apprehensions (well, not my 8th grader, according to him, but I think that was a bunch of bravado without much to back it.  That story another time) about how smoothly the transition to a new school year would be.  I believe one of the most anxiety inducing events is: Where, and with whom, am I going to sit at lunch?  My 7th grader voiced his fear surrounding this very thing the night before school started.  We talked about it, and he made a plan to ask a friend, whom he knew was in his 1st period class, to sit with him at lunch.  Fortunately for my son, it worked out well and I was glad.

My gladness turned to sadness, however, when today I found out one of his fellow classmates didn't have such a positive lunch-table experience.  I'm still sad.  No, make that angry, about the situation, which is why I feel I need to write my feelings down here, lest they eat away at my insides.  The specifics of what happened aren't important.  What is important is that a wonderful, big-hearted, loving kid was crowded out of his seat on Friday at my son's middle school.  The worst part is the boys who crowded this student out were kids this boy has trusted and known since kindergarten.

Worse still, is that it will probably continue to happen.  You know why?  Because parents are often reluctant to believe their kids are involved in bullying, so they will ignore it.  I get that.  To an extent.  It is hard to wrap our brain around the fact that the child we have nurtured and loved is capable of making someone else feel scared and bad about themselves.  The act is unconscionable to most of us, so thinking of our child  as the perpetrator of such action is almost more than we can bear.  But bear it we must.  Not only must we bear it, we must face it - head on and with determination.

At some point, we all have to come to the realization that, in human nature, every child  is capable of everything.  Given the right set of circumstances, every child is capable of doing something their parents (and perhaps they) aren't proud of.  This doesn't mean our child is a bad seed, or a horrible child simply because they made a bad choice, but if we parents turn the other way, chalk it up to 'boys will be boys', or completely deny the situation, that child can quickly become someone we don't recognize.

I urge everyone who reads this to dig deeply into your conscience and sit down with your child today.  Let them know you love them unconditionally, but also as strongly stress your desire for them to be a leader in kindness instead of cruelty.  Believe the child you've nurtured has the strength to stand up against people whose only ambition in life is to tear others down in order to feel better about themselves.  Most often, your child will rise to the challenge.  If, however, you find your child is unwilling to do so, and instead joins the bully ranks, you must believe that as well, and act quickly and decisively.  Don't turn away from it in shame or denial.  The only way to stamp out this kind of behavior it to acknowledge it.  Acknowledge it and call attention to it in order to nip it in the bud.

Nipping bully behavior in the bud stage, before it becomes an integral part of a child's personality, is a key to breaking a cycle.  Counsel your child.  Find out why he/she feels the need to bully others.  Get to bottom of their insecurities, so that you can help them deal with their feelings without involving someone else in their self-doubt.

Growing up is hard under the best of circumstances (middle school being no doubt the most angst ridden years).  Everyone has their up days and down days and different struggles along the way, but no one should ever have to go to school scared or afraid.  No one should be expected to learn at optimal levels when they are anxious about who's going to push them out of their seat at lunch time, or worse.  It's unacceptable and we, as parents, set the most influential example for our kids. We can't complain about the behavior of today's youth while pretending we have nothing to do with it.  It's just not right. I believe we can make a difference - if only we have the courage. It's up to us to take the first step toward securing the future for all children.  Not just our own, but all children.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I hear you. But wouldn't it be more involved to step up and discuss what really happened so that the parents can have a "real" talk with their children? (Not in your blog but in personal emails or phone calls). Your article/essay/blog seems very ambiguous to say the details aren't important. And honestly, if the kids have all been friends since kindergarten, then so have most of the parents. Why not indiscreetly let those parents know what their kids are doing at school? I would. And I would want to know if it was my kid that was contributing to one of their own peers pain. Its important to teach our kids that in such a crazy world like we live in today, you should be able to count on both your friends and the parents of your friends- especially where honestly and decency is concerned. If we just say "someone acted out" are we really being a responsible citizen in our small community? Or if we go to each parent and say; "My son told me that your son was involved in some undesirable activities at school today and here is what I think happened..." then we are getting involved and making a difference. We all need to step up as parents- Or that poor kid might just have a terrible 7th grade year! I find that the cliques that were formed in elementary school by the parents are so rigid, that this kind of peacemaking that I'm suggesting can be hard for some. They'd rather sit around and talk about how terrible other people and other families are. Maybe the kid that was mistreated needs help- and if Sam (my son) were involved- I would do everything within my power as a parent to set it straight once the situation had been explained to me. Apologies would be made, then everyone wins. Everyone. We only know our child is a bully if someone tells us the behavior is present. Kids don't normally "bully" in front of their parents. You know the saying "it takes a village to raise a kid" and knowing about all that is ahead for these kids, they need all the support they can get. That includes support from their friends families. I open my home to my kids friends, not to ignore them (I want to get to know them!), or to use them to occupy my child (I want them to build their friendships), but to provide another place of sanctuary for that child. They just can't have too many people pulling for them and keeping an eye out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Margaret, I say the details aren't important because I'm addressing the problem of bullying as a whole, not just this one incident. My child wasn't the one being picked on, he didn't even see it happen, so I don't feel it's my place to comment on the events. I did talk to him, though, and reinforced what we've already told him about being kind to others. Is he always? Probably not, but I'm going to make certain he knows where I stand on the issue. I believe we all should talk to our kids about bullying in general, not just when something happens, because the reality is, it happens and they need to know what's acceptable and what's not.

    I didn't write the blog to cause more conflict. That is the last thing I want to do. Writing is a way for me to express my feelings, feelings that are personal to me and in no way reflect back on anyone else. The subject of bullying is a hard one, to be sure, and I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I do want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem and I think being proactive in this issue is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,

    Thank you so much for writing this. You expressed the true importance of the situation beautifully. I know with my own children I have sometimes forgotten to revisit something they've already been taught. I take it for granted that my kids have "got it" because we went over it a few times. But as they mature and face new challenges they need reminders about what's really important. At least, mine do. :)

    Margaret,

    It was my son, Jarod, that this happened to. As you know, he has high functioning autism. He is already receiving a lot of help and has been since he was an infant. Considering how challenging social situations are for him already, Craig and I are incredibly proud of how he handled what happened Friday. While we do know all of the parents of the children involved, we are cautious about approaching them. The main reason is that we don't want to make it worse for Jarod. Like you said, kid's don't normally bully in front of the parents. Retaliation doesn't happen in front of the parents either. We've seen this before, the child apologized to Jarod but then teased him even worse when no adults were around because Jarod had "told". I'm pretty confident in guessing that it would only be worse for Jarod that he "went home and told his mom" at the middle school level.

    I really wish there was a way everyone could win but in my experience so far, it rarely works out like that for Jarod. Despite everything we've done and all the progress we've made. kids with special needs still have a target painted on their back.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim and Mary,
    I had a feeling it was a situation with Jarod. I know it was one of your fears for Haggard- thus wanting to keep him at home with you. It has always been my hope that the "Davis" kids would rally around Jarod and protect him from the kids who haven't yet learned how to be respectful of others. (An age old problem.) I understand what you're saying about approaching the other parents, and I guess I am an anomaly to want my friends and other parents to point out things that my children do that aren't right, or nice so I can talk to them and explain how hurtful their actions can be for someone else. I was bullied as a child, it actually started when I moved to Plano in 6th grade, so I am no stranger to it. Kim- I wasn't coming down on you. It may have seemed that way. It just makes me so mad when kids are mean to other kids- I want it brought into the light and given a name, so that bullying doesn't hide in the dark like a dirty secret. It happens all day, every day all over the world and has since the beginning of time. It sucks. And Mary, I'm sorry Jarod has to deal with ANY OF IT!! My hope is that Sam would always defend Jarod. I just talked to him about it tonight. I was moved to post to Kim's blog today because I have such strong feelings about bullying. Know that I will be thinking of Jarod all year, and hoping like the dickens that it doesn't happen again. Or I'll go after those kids parents, myself.

    "And the meek shall inherit the earth..." easy to see why.

    ReplyDelete