Thursday, November 8, 2012

Homemade All-Purpose Moisturizer

This recipe is so simple, takes only a few minutes to make, and the finished product can be used on anything from dry elbows to dry lips to sore muscles, depending on what essential oils you use.  It's non-greasy and very healing for the skin.

Here's what you'll need to get started:
Beeswax (finely chopped, or pellets)
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Cocoa Butter
Shea Butter
Rosemary Extract (optional)
Menthol Crystals (optional)
Essential Oils
Double Boiler 
 
To start with, add the main ingredients into your double boiler that's on a gentle boil. The measurements of each ingredient will depend on how much moisturizer you're making, but the ratio will remain the same.  Two parts coconut oil, one part beeswax, 1/2 part cocoa butter, 1/2 part shea butter.  Once that has all melted together, you can either make a whole batch of one type moisturizer, in which case, you would add in your essential oils and rosemary extract at this time.  Again, the amounts depend on how much you're making.  Rule of thumb would be 1-2 drops essential oil per ounce of product.

What I generally do, is make 2 or 3 types of product at a time.  Before I start separating my product, I add 1 drop per ounce of the Rosemary Extract, which acts as a preservative for the finished product (there is nothing worse than making up a big batch, only to have it go rancid before it's all used).

For this batch, I made the big container (3 oz) into body butter by adding approximately 10 drops of Lavender essential oil to the melted oils. Once I pour it into the container, I give it a little swirl with a toothpick to mix it in.

The middle sized container (2 oz) I made into a Vapo-Rub® type product by adding 1/4 teaspoon of menthol crystals (it melts right into the hot liquid), 10 drops eucalyptus essential oil and 5 drops rosemary essential oil.

The smallest container (1 oz) was used for lip balm.  I added 1/8 teaspoon menthol crystals and 10 drops of peppermint oil.
I Leave the lids off and allow them to cool at room temperature.  I like to let my products cure for 24-48 hours before I use them.  I feel it gives everything a chance to set and get all cozy together in the container, but I have no scientific proof that this actually occurs, just makes me feel better. :)
The possibilities of product uses and scents are as endless as your imagination.  Take a look at a good website regarding the healing properties in each essential oil, and combine them as your needs dictate.

If you decide to try this recipe, leave me a note and let me know how your product turned out. 

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic, Kimmers! I want to try this. I bookmarked this page so when I have all the stuffs, I can come back to it. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete