Monday, August 18, 2008

It Will All Work Out

No matter what happens... somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"

Luke 12:24-28

24Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!

Matthew 6:34

34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I have discovered more about human nature and my own personality since I have been PTA President this last year (and continuing this year) than ever before in my life. I never really looked at myself as a glass is half full type person. I truly thought I was a pessimist for most of my adult life. I always envied people that I new who were enthusiastic and bubbly, forever wearing a smile on their face.

The thing is, I spent the better part of twenty five years with a undiagnosed form of depression called dysthymia. This was clouding my perception of reality and my concept of who I actually was. It was not until I was pregnant with my fourth child at age 35 that I began to realize that there might be a reason why I could never shake my funky feelings. I had been told since I was a child just to snap out of it, or to pray for release of these feelings. These were all things I had tried fervently to do over the years. I really felt I had failed as a Christian if I sought medical intervention in this area; however I really felt that in order to be the mom I needed to be for my children -- I had to do something different.

After talking to my doctor about it, he put me on a low dose of Zoloft. Once the medication kicked in, I cannot tell you the difference there was in my outlook. I remember thinking "Wow, this is how normal people feel all the time!" I was truly astounded at the alteration of my moods. I have since learned to deal with the fact that my brain chemicals do not work the way most do. I will forever be on antidepressants. They make me normal. They bring the real me to the surface. It is my belief that God led me to the medication so that I could be more of who I really am. I don't feel that I have failed in my relationship with God by taking my medication any more than I feel my son is sinning when he takes his asthma medication. He needs it to live, just as I do with my antidepressants.

So, that story leads my back to my observation. I really am a very optimistic person. I just never had the chance to truly know it. My mantra is generally "It will all work out." This tends to frustrate some who do not share my outlook. They want to worry and fret. It is who they are. When they see that I am not stressed, they are inclined to get more anxious in an attempt to transfer their stress on to me.

No where has this been more evident than in my tenure as PTA President. At first I thought "Well, everyone else is worried -- maybe I should be too." But why? Everything does tend to work out. Plus we are talking PTA here, it is not the end of the world as we know it if we run out of (fill in the blank), or a parent doesn't like the set up of our event. We are volunteers, doing a job that not many people are willing to step up and do. I am always agreeable to step aside and let someone else try their hand at it if they believe they can do a better job.

I want things to run smoothly. I desire to make as many people as happy as possible, but I realize that perfection is impossible, so why worry about it. I enjoy my job and feel fulfilled in my role as a leader, but seriously -- not everything has to be taken so...well...seriously.

Lighten up, ladies -- you will live so much longer and be so much more cheerful in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment