Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Learning is Not Just for Kids

When I was young I was sure of everything; in a few years, having been mistaken a thousand times, I was not half so sure of most things as I was before; at present, I am hardly sure of anything but what God has revealed to me.”
- John Wesley

As I get older I realize just how little I really know. There are so many things yet to be learned and explored. The old saying that youth is wasted on the young really has a ring of truth to it. If I knew half as much as I thought I did at 22, I'd be a genius. Some wisdom in life can only come from, well...life. There is no substitute for life experience. I now know that I really am not as smart as I thought I was. I am a little wiser now, but not nearly as wise as I will be in 5,10,15 years. I can't wait to learn new things and gain more insight into life's mysteries.

As far as my relationship with the Lord is concerned, I want to be emptied of all preconceived notions that I have. I want to forget what the world tells me is the truth and concentrate on what God reveals to me as the truth. I anxiously await these revelations. There is so much glory and power in God's word. I don't want to read it with my own understanding. I want to read it like it was meant to be read - with humility and openness.

Proverbs 3:5-6:
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;

6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

1 Corinthians 2:6-10

We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. 8None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9However, as it is written:
"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him"10but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.
The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment