Wednesday, February 18, 2009

She didn't choose abortion - now what?

We all have our pet issues and problems that touch our hearts. Not just moms, but especially among  moms, the majority of us are drawn to matters that involve children. I've participated in ad-nauseum discussions on the issue of abortion, when life begins, and who has the right to terminate a pregnancy.

Although I am politically, pro-choice, I too have issues with babies not having an opportunity at life; I myself could never have an abortion. Many would disagree with me, in my paradoxical stance, and think me culpable in murdering babies because I don't feel it is right to make a choice for another woman. That is fine, I can live with the judgment.

What I cannot live with comfortably is the 33 million children worldwide who will grow up without a parent. Just in the US alone, it is estimated that nearly half a million children are in this country's Foster Care system, about 150,000 are awaiting adoption.These are children who are already living and breathing- they also deserve a chance to have a life. Some of these children are here because someone chose, for whatever reason, to give birth to them but were unable to care for them properly. I am glad these women chose life for their child, but at what cost?

These children are now paying the price for the ill-equipped mom who went through with her pregnancy. They wear the scars of abuse and neglect because beyond giving birth, their mom had no idea what having a baby meant. Yes, many believe her choice ended when she 'opened her legs'. That is a fine argument, but what about the resultant child?

So, my question is this - Where is the outrage for these children? Where are the pro-life banners for these precious children who need far more than what little state aid they are receiving. They are often alone, separated from their siblings, some are in foster homes that are worse than the homes they were taken from.

These children wait. And they wait. And they wait. They wait for someone to save them from their fate. They hold on, with tiny fingernails to the hope than someone will care enough to take up their cause. I have nothing against people taking up the pro-life cause, but let's get real, people, let's start taking care of the ones we already have among the living; their is no debate about whether they are alive or not. Let's give these children a fighting chance. For them to not only survive birth, but also to thrive, We need to be their voice.

Matthew 25:45
"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

James 1:26-27
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Matthew 18:1-3 (New International Version)
At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"
He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

2 comments:

  1. I am pro life and have outrage for those that are in the system. I was in the system and I am glad, although I faced abuse, I had the right to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I in no way think that women should have abortions to alleviate the problems in the foster care system. I just think we need to take some of the energy and refocus it into foster care reform and parenting classes.

    ReplyDelete