Monday, February 16, 2009

Should Christians be Figthing for Israel?

Why do so many of my Christian friends feel that it is their duty to take up the fight for Israel in their battle against Palestine?

This is a question that has been on my mind and heart a lot lately. I have been praying about this because I wondered if I was being remiss in some way not feeling that it is my battle to wage. In my prayers and in my studies I always test my feelings against the word to see if I am being deceived or if the Holy Spirit is speaking to me. After much reading and prayer, I still feel that God is not calling me to support this battle. I believe that I am being called to live at peace.

I feel that as a Christian I should fight battles in my own backyard. There are some radical Christians who need to be eradicated. They need to be told that they are not living as Christ and are doing a lot of harm and nothing good to spread the gospel. This is where my focus needs to be.

This is not to say that I do not have a heart for people who are caught in the cross fire of the conflict between Israel and Palestine because I do. I pray that they will be saved from further devastation.


2 Corinthians 13:11-12 (New International Version)

11Finally, brothers, good-by. Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.

12Greet one another with a holy kiss.

John 14:25-27

25"All this I have spoken while still with you. 26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

James 3:13-18

13Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. 16For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

17But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.

Romans 12:17-19

17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"a]">says the Lord.

John 16:33

33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment