Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fantasy Fudge - It Tastes Like Christmas


I first wrote this blog on another website two Christmases ago. I thought I would share it this year on my own blog. Hope you enjoy it and it inspires you to recall some happy memories of Christmases (or whatever holiday you celebrate this time of year) past.

There are certain things that just make me think of Christmas. They evoke memories of Christmas past in me like nothing else. When I hear Elvis sing Jingle Bell Rock, I am automatically transported to 1973, the year my mother was pregnant with my little brother, we were living in a little trailer on some land out in the country and we had an album with that song on it that we played over and over again. I love that memory.

At the smell of a scotch pine Christmas tree my mind drifts back to the real trees we had as a child and I remember the prickly needles that dug into the backs of my hands as I added the ornaments to the tree and the sappy, sticky residue that was left on my fingers when I was done. When I see icicle tinsel I am reminded of Christmases long, long ago when I, in my youthful exuberance, would toss clumps of the stuff at the tree while my sister, ever the dainty decorator, would carefully and judiciously place the silver strands one at a time on the tree.

I treasure all of these memories and am always happy when something I see, hear, smell or taste brings back a childhood memory and there is nothing better than sharing these memories and traditions with my own children. Yesterday I shared the taste of Christmas with my youngest son. To my mouth, the taste of Christmas is Fantasy Fudge - the recipe that was found on the back of the Kraft Marshmallow Cream jar in my childhood. I heard the changed the recipe over the years - shame on them. I go for the traditional recipe, myself. Vintage is always better in my mind.

Here are some pictures of my son making fudge yesterday along with the recipe. If you've never had it, you don't know what you're missing and if you have, you'll know, as I do, that it tastes just like Christmas.
3 cups sugar

3/4 cup margarine

1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk

1 pkg. (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate pieces

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme

1 cup chopped nuts

1 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat or until candy thermometer reaches 234° F., stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.

Stir in chocolate pieces until melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 13-by-9-inch pan.

Cool at room temperature. Cut into squares.

ETA: Just for grins I am adding an 'after' picture of my son. He had me cut his hair after we made fudge.

 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment