Friday, April 12, 2013

It's a daily dilemma

It's been a little while since I wrote anything on the blog.  A lot has happened in the past four months, and one of these days, I'm going to sit down and write my heart out about my life, my struggles, my triumphs and everything in between.

Today, however, is not that day.  Today, I'm exposing one of  my quirks.  Oh, I could probably spend a whole month just writing about each of my quirks, because there are quite a few of them.  This particular thing isn't even one of my quirkier quirks, well, perhaps it is, I'm so quirky, I'm not even sure what is considered [normal], but this particular one came up again today, so here it is.

Backstory:
About... I don't even remember when, maybe six months ago, our automatic ice maker went kaput on us.  So many things have come up, expense-wise, that we have yet to replace it.  Meanwhile, we have to use the old fashioned plastic fill-them-up-freeze-them-twist-them-out-and-repeat ice cube trays.

Making ice isn't an arduous task, it only takes a few minutes, but there is something that bugs me every time I fill up those little cubes and return them to their perch in my freezer.

Lookit this and tell me what's wrong with this picture?

If you are quirky like me, you will notice it right away.  There are an odd number of trays.  Why did I ever buy that three pack of red trays?  I knew I had two green and two blue at home when I bought them, so why, oh why did I buy three red?  I even remember at the time that I bought them thinking - hhmm, that's going to give me an odd number, but I bought them anyway.  

Every time I fill them (and yes, folks, I am the one who always fills them, just like I'm the one who always changes the empty toilet paper roll.  It's in the mom handbook, look it up, you'll see) I say to myself - I sure wish I had one more try to even it out.  As you can see, one more would fit perfectly in the available space. 

And now, you see there is really no remedy for this dilemma, since there is very little chance I will ever come across a single red ice cube tray, and even if I did, that would give me four red and only two each of the blue and green. So, short of chucking the whole lot and starting over, I guess I'm just going to have to live in a home with odd ice trays.  Throws my whole day off-kilter, it does.

Yes, dear people, I spend minutes at a time, and vital brain space actually thinking about this particular perturbation (oh, that word, perturbation, looks naughty. I think I'll use it more often ;) ).  Think of all the other things I could be doing instead of obsession about ice cube trays.  No telling what I might accomplish. 

What quirky things do you spend way too much time thinking about in your life?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment