Thursday, April 24, 2014

Cell Phone Cover Hack

When I bought this inexpensive cheap phone cover, I should have known is wasn't going to last long.  I think I paid 1.50 for it.  With shipping it was 5.00. Meh, you get what you pay for.

Unfortunately, I can't afford an expensive upgrade right now (which I need on the phone too, but that's another post, altogether), so I thought... hmm... Kim, you've got crafty skills, think of something.
Then, as the skies parted and the heavens rang out in the Hallelujah chorus - well, not really, but. fellow crafters, you know what it's like when your mind hits on an idea and you just KNOW it can work.  Washi tape!  You know the stuff, people are sticking it on every surface; it's a huge trend, and frankly, I get it.  Once you start using it, you want to Washi every old and cruddy thing in your house.

So, I got to work.  These are the tools and supplies I used:  Two colors of Washi tape and some contrasting nail polish (another Hallelujah moment inspired that addition), since the case is in two pieces and the face piece is small and curved, it would have been awkward, if not impossible to us the Washi tape.
It was so incredibly simple to do, I won't even bore you with step by step instructions.  The hardest part was settling on which tapes (in my small... okay, not so small, stash).  Washi tape is literally peel and stick, using a paper smoothing stylus to smooth out the edges after you cut the edges with some small, sharp scissors. And the nail polish?  Brush it on - that's it. Let the whole thing dry over night and vĂ³ila, you are ready to snap it on.

The finished product came out pretty nice if I do say so myself.  And, I do, since I am writing this blog post about it - duh.
 I can plainly see that some of my more [exacting] friends might point out that the stripes aren't exactly, evenly spaced.  I *ahem* purposely did that because, I'm just random like that.  No, seriously, I am. :-)

I'm not sure how long it will last, but it will at least extend the life of the cover until I can afford to upgrade the phone - I hope - at which time, I will of course be [theoretically] able to afford a new case as well.

Happy crafting, people.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment