Thursday, March 1, 2012

Healthy Mind, Body and Soul 3/1/12



I love Jason Gray , and more specifically, I love this song of his.  I love the simplicity of the lyrics - "Tell me, lest I forget, who I am to you [God]".  I've listened to this song countless time over the past week or so because, frankly, I've forgotten who I am.

I look in the mirror, and I don't recognize myself.  I've never looked like this before, so it's foreign to me - not only the face staring back, but the body attached to it.  It's true, I look different, but inside there somewhere is the same person I was a year ago.  Honestly, I'm not altogether sure I know who that person was either, but my God does.

He not only knows who I am, he loves who I am.  He may not always love what I do-- for instance, he doesn't love that I haven't taken care of my body.  In Romans 12:1, I'm told to offer my body as a living sacrifice and that the sacrifice be holy and pleasing, as a spiritual act of worship.  Overfeeding my body and thus subjecting it to myriad malfunctions a body can have due to carrying too much weight around doesn't sound holy and pleasing to me.  Neither is it a sacrifice.  I've failed in this area.

However, the glory of my life comes straight from the mercy of my God.  He says to me - It's okay, remember who you are?  You're mine, and I love you.

As I peel back the layers of my life, both literally and physically I am better able to grasp the concept of who I am.  I'm able to see more clearly that I'm not what I do; I'm more than that.  I'm more than the things I do.  I am more than what I eat, wear or own.  I am me and I have a purpose with a place not only in the heart of God, but in the lives of everyone I come in contact with.  I desperately want to make my time here on this planet mean something.  In order to do that, I have to remember who I am.

Photobucket