Monday, February 11, 2008

Love is in the air.

As I prepare for Valentine's Day I am struck by God's Unfailing Love for me. I know how much I love my children. I also know that god loves me more than that. It really is the most amazing kind of love.

Jesus gave his words of love before he left the earth. In John he tells me that he loves as God loves and that I should in turn love as he loves. When I follow his command I am considered his friend and no longer his servant. He wants to be on those kind of terms with me. He desires to have a relationship with me.

It is mind bending to think of the kind of love that it takes to endure what he endured for me on the cross. Then to say - I want to be your friend - My love for you is unfailing. I am having a hard time even comprehending it.

He knew that throughout my life there would be friends who would let me down and that I would need the kind of love that only he could offer to help me through those times of deep heartache. He set it up so that I would always be able to come back to his arms and find comfort there. Sometimes he has taken me by the hand and led me where I need to go. Other times he has admonished me for making the wrong choices. Still other times he has just held me as I cried and felt sorry for myself. He has been there through it all and he has always known just what to do. He is the perfect friend.

Passage Psalm 119:76:
76 May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.

Passage Lamentations 3:22:
22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.

Passage John 15:9-17:
9"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17This is my command: Love each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment