Sunday, January 20, 2008

The first will be last...

The concept of Christ's humility is a hard one to grasp. Why would he make himself nothing and take on the nature of a servant? He is God after all, he didn't have to do it. But he chose to be a servant so that I would see that it is in the humility of servitude that I find my joy.

When I serve others I am not only ministering to others, I am also worshiping. It is the act itself that is my sacrifice and my offering to the Lord. God doesn't require that I do these things in repayment for Jesus' sacrifice for me. That was a free gift, a selfless act of grace and mercy. But knowing that he did give his life for me spurs me on. I can't just rest on my laurels. I must serve, and it must be a free gift with no strings attached to the person I am serving. In order to do that I have to surrender to Him, otherwise my human nature takes over and I start to feel unappreciated. I have to remember it's not about the acknowledgements, it is a bout the sacrifice and offering to God.

I Surrender to You - Jeremy Camp

Philippians 2:6-7:
6Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

Matthew 20:25-28:
25Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Ephesians 6:7:
7Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men,

No comments:

Post a Comment