Friday, January 18, 2008

I want to be like you, Jesus

One of my favorite songs right now is My Jesus by Todd Agnew. It is such a powerful song about who Jesus really was and how I am supposed to act in the world as I imitate him.

There are so many falsely pious people in the world who would tell me that in order to inherit the kingdom I should go to church every Sunday and act like I am better than everyone else. They would lead me to believe that I should judge everyone and condemn the sin of my fellow Christian. According to them there are sins in the world that are worse than others. There are degrees placed on sin by some. I believe that people do this in order to make themselves feel better about their own sin nature. It is too easy to say "Well, I may have ____ today, but at least I didn't do ____, boy, I feel sorry for her because she has to deal with that in her life!" These are all man made ideas of what sin is. Jesus placed no degrees on sin, he loved everyone. He made a point of spending time with those who were in sin because he knew that down through the ages there would be those who would feel superior to others for whatever reason. He wanted to show right off the bat that judgment was wrong.

If I am to live as Christ I am to follow his example. I am to walk in this world as an ambassador of his love. Jesus came into this world not to condemn, but to save.

It is my fervent prayer that as I go about my daily activities that I would draw others to me, not because I myself am something special, but because Christ lives in me. I hope that his light will shine through me, that others would see that there is something different about me. Maybe this can spark a conversation about Jesus and the person he was, is and always will be.

Colossians 2:6-10:

Freedom From Human Regulations Through Life With Christ


6So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, 7rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
8See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.
9For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority

No comments:

Post a Comment