Monday, January 14, 2008

In the stillness is the voice of God.

I am embarking today on a 21 day complaint fast. I really do want to become a positive person. I don't like whiners and I fear I have become one. Last week I think I complained about everything that happened in my life. By the end of the week I felt truly disgusted with myself. I know that this is not Christlike behavior and will not draw anyone to me. It is repulsive and repellent. Yuck! Here I am complaining about complaining...Time to move on.

This is something that I can't do on my own. I need God's help. What I will do these next few days is to be still and know that He is God. To be still in his presence is an act of worship and sacrifice. I need to sacrifice myself to his will. If I truly stop and think about the complaints in my life they really aren't that big. They are life's little irritants, people not showing up on time, invasion of personal space, being tired, those are some of the things that I generally complain about. If I stop at the moment the complaint comes to my mind and dwell on God, I am sure he will have better things for me to spend my time thinking about. If I need to complain let it be about things that matter like injustice in the world, homelessness, the uninsured, illiteracy, just to name a few. Then when I am done complaining I need to see what he wants me to do about the situation. Yikes! There is a new thought... stop complaining and get off my butt and do something about it!

Psalm 46:10:
10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."


Zechariah 2:13:13
Be still before the LORD, all mankind, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling."


Video - Aaron Shust - Stillness

1 comment: